In 1905 a piece of ground, adjacent to the main road (Jan Smuts Highway) to Pietermaritzburg, was purchased by Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA and placed into a Trust. The area was known as Rooikopjies. Initially a foundation was laid for a Musjid, but perhaps he foresaw the road widening that was to affect the site in time to come and he built a wood and iron Jamat Khana on the western side of the land, which was also used as a Madressa. A residence was built for the Imam and the Muezzin. The Northern end of this land was used as a cemetery which is still in existence. Thus this institution catered for the needs of the Muslims of the 45th Cutting and part of Mayville and Sydenham areas.
The time of the obligatory prayer