Shah Jehan Mosque
Opened in 1889, the Shah Jehan Mosque is the oldest purpose built mosque in Britain. The building was designed by the Victorian architect WL Chambers and built in Bath and Bargate stone. Its traditional Indo Saracen design has a dome, minarets and courtyard, for which the architects used the 'Art Arabe' in the India Office, British Library, as reference. The mosque published the first English translation of the Qu'ran in 1917 and the influential Islamic Review until the mid-sixties. A number of British aristocrats converted to Islam here and the mosque attracted visits from royalty and prominent Muslim from around the world. In 1968, Sunni Muslims took over the running of the mosque from members of the Ahmadiyya sect, appointing the President of Pakistan as Chairman of its Trust. Now a Grade II listed building, the Shah Jehan Mosque is the focus for Muslims in the area and continues to welcomes visitors and worshippers alike.